News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Match Report: Charnock Richard 3-2 Longridge

Match Report: Charnock Richard 3-2 Longridge

Connor Philipson6 Feb - 22:35
Share via

Charnock steal points in battle of Mossie Park

A valiant effort from ten man Longridge ended in disappointment as Charnock Richard snatched three points in a tightly contested affair.

New signings Matt Van Wyk and Silas Itotayagbon featured with Matty starting and Silas coming off the bench late on.

Brett McGovern also started his first match since returning to Longridge, taking the place of Luke Smith.

The first half began as it meant to go on, with Longridge seeing the better of it.

Van Wyk had his first chance after just 30 seconds after nodding over Marshall's cross.

McLean was a constant threat down the left in the first 45.

The first time he beared his teeth was 8 minutes in, as he stole the ball before nut-megging the full back before crossing into Van Wyk who headed over.

The first of a few penalty shouts came two minutes after McGovern went down under the challenge of Haydock.

The referee waved away the appeals.

Fletcher managed to win it back high up and took on a powerful shot which Eastham tipped behind for a corner.

The hosts cleared the resulting delivery from Homson-Smith.

Homson-Smith stayed involved as he beautifully switched it to McLean who took it down well, before playing a one-two with Van Wyk and lobbing it just over the bar from the edge of the box.

Van Wyk continued to run the show up top as he spun his man before sending his shot high and wide.

A couple of bookings later, one for Town's McGovern and Charnock's Power, and Homson-Smith had some defending to do.

He heroically tracked back to clear off the line after Kitchen was beaten on 34 minutes.

The ball was launched forward three minutes later.

Van Wyk chased it down and won a penalty after going down in the area.

Homson-Smith stepped up and fired it into the top right corner to break to deadlock and give Town a fully deserved lead.

Van Wyk was once again a thorn in Charnock's side as he chased down a defender and won it back before forcing a corner.

With five minutes added onto the first half, Town were soon reduced to ten men.

Paul Turner received a straight red for a high foot challenge in the middle of the park on Power, struggling to have any complaints.

The resulting free kick was launched into the box, causing a scramble.

Defender Ross O'Farrell reacted quickest to stab it past Kitchen to equalise in the seventh minute of stoppage time, with the half time whistle blown promptly after.

Not before Homson-Smith was sin-binned, forcing Longridge to start the second half with nine men.

Luke Smith came on for Brett McGovern at the break.

Charnock substitute Nathan Nickeas had the first shot of the second half, as he lashed an effort wide from a tight angle.

Van Wyk then began a one man crusade up front to attempt to carve out any opportunity he could.

He did about everything he could.

On 53 minutes he saw a cross into L.Smith cleared.

A bit of a scramble ensued 2 minutes later as Kitchen did well to deny a forward before Bibby's deflected effort deflected off the outside of the post.

Homson-Smith then returned to the field.

Van Wyk produced more heroics on the hour mark as he drove forward and won another spot kick after a tangle of legs with Haydock.

The forward himself then stepped up and got himself a deserved goal as he stroked it into the bottom right.

The lead didn't last however, as M.Haydock soon made up for his error by firing into the far right corner from 20 yards.

Kitchen produced a couple more saves before 70 minutes.

Scott Harries then departed for Silas Itotayagbon with ten minutes left to play.

Unfortunately it would count for nothing, as Lewis Haydock poked it home on 83 minutes to send the home crowd crazy.

Ashey made one last roll of the dice as he threw Leighton Hewitt on for a very tired Matty Van Wyk in the last minutes.

With just four minutes added on, the referee blew his whistle right on time, confirming a win for the hosts.

A valiant effort given the circumstances but it just wasn't to be.

The Ridge will look to get back on track this weekend with a home tie against Kendal Town.

Be sure to back the boys as we return to the Recycling Lives Ground.

The Goals

Charnock: O'Farrel (45+7'), M.Haydock (63'), L.Haydock (83')

Longridge: Homson-Smith (83' pen), Van Wyk (60' pen)

The Teams

Charnock line-up: Eastham, Bibby, O'Farrell, Duke (Bennett 80'), M.Haydock (Santos)', L.Haydock, Griffith, Ridings (Davies 67'), Power (Nickeas 45+7'), Stephans, Carsley (Spinelli 78')

Longridge line-up: Kitchen, Marshall, Wilkinson, Gallagher-Allison, McLean, Fletcher, Harries (Itotayagbon 80'), Homson-Smith, McGovern (L.Smith 46'), Turner, Van Wyk (L.Hewitt 90')

Further reading